Monday, August 1, 2011

At the Movies: The Hedgehog

One of the most anticipated Europa Editions titles on my reading list is The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery.  I do not read a lot of French fiction, but I do enjoy French movies - not the old black and white art house variety, but more recent dramas with a bittersweet comedic twist.  Most Audrey Tatou films come to mind.  I am especially fond of Amelie. 


This morning, while reading my Shelf Awareness news letter, I came across mention of a movie called The Hedgehog that will be released in the United States this Friday, August 5. It has been making its way around the world since 2009 and has been quite popular on the festival circuit since then, including winning "Best Film" at the Seattle International Film Festival in 2010.

I am very excited to see the film adaptation of Barbery's novel. I was first drawn to the novel because it reminded me, in some way, of those French films that I have come to love.  I have no doubt that the film will fit right in there with all of the others. In fact, this may be one movie that I see before I actually read the book.

I haven't been able to find information on locations where the film is being shown, or I'd go ahead and make plans to attend. If anyone has a chance to see it, or if you already have seen it, please let me know what you thought. UPDATE:  Here's a schedule of US showings, via NeoClassics Films.

 Here's the trailer:



What other Europa titles have been made into movies?