Tuesday, July 5, 2011

In the Beginning:Bibliophiliac Begins a Challenge

There are three Europa titles sitting in front of me on my desk, and another title or two is hovering off stage. I'm Lisa from Bibliophiliac, and this is the first challange that I have participated in. Those gorgeous Europa designs are just so enticing, and the titles are so intriguingly different.

Browsing the bookstore this afternoon (yes, this afternoon) I was not reading titles or authors the way I usually do. Instead, I was looking for the distinctive Europa design: the matte, rich single-color spine, the elegant logo. It really impressed me that the designs are so uniform, and so immediately recognizable. Brilliant.

Here are the titles in front of me:
The Days of Abandonment by Elena Ferrante
Broken Glass Park by Alina Bronsky
Old Filth by Jane Gardam

I also plan to pick up Heliopolis. I reserve the right to become addicted to the Europa Editions books and read dozens of them compulsively.