Friday, July 1, 2011

Alina Bronsky made me a believer in Europa Editions

Europa Editions had been on my radar for a while, but it wasn't until I received a copy of The Hottest Dishes of the Tartar Cuisine by Alina Bronsky in the mail that I really had any idea what they were about.  I didn't read the book immediately.  It looked intriguing, but I had other books scheduled before it.

I would pick it up now and then, wondering if it was going to be as good as I hoped. Then I started seeing the first reviews coming in.  I generally don't read other reviews before I write my own, but I was finding it hard to resist.  Europa kept tweeting little snippets  that made me want to read the book immediately.  One day, I finally gave into that urge.
Tweets like this one.  Of course, this is a line from my review....
I'm not going to tell you in any great detail what I thought of the book. Read my review for the specifics. What you do need to know is that I thought it was hilarious! Sometimes, the only way to deal with the pain is to laugh at it.  That's proven true in my own life, and it is more than true in this book. If Europa was wise enough to bring this title American readers, then I can't wait to see what else they have for us.


After reading it, I started pouring over the Europa catalog, trying to figure out what I needed to read next.  I have two on the shelf and another that I'm looking forward to.  I don't know when they'll get on the schedule, but I'm sure that it will be sooner  rather than later - especially with this challenge to egg me on. 

Interested in reading more about Hottest Dishes? Take a look below.

Oh, and did I mention that it made my 5 Best Books list for the year (so far)?


Enhanced by Zemanta